Participation in a support group can be a meaningful part of the physical, emotional, and spiritual recovery from cancer, regardless of the stage of the cancer, or whether you are a patient or caregiver. Our support groups utilize the Patient Active Concept, which includes actions, attitudes, and behaviors that empower people with cancer to become partners with their healthcare team in making treatment decisions, and to be in charge of how they will live with cancer.
- Develop a new attitude toward their illness
- Make changes in their lives that they think are important
- Access resources valuable to the cancer experience
- Partner with their physician to make active choices
- Face the challenges of caring for a loved one with cancer
- Connect with others grieving the loss of a loved one
Our support groups cater to all those affected by cancer including patients, family, friends, caregivers, survivors, and those in bereavement. If you are interested in joining a support group, please call 908 658 5400 or email Jill Kaplan, Program Director.
Social workers are on staff to offer short-term support to people with cancer and their families who may be dealing with issues related to their cancer experience. To schedule an individual counselling session at CSCCNJ, please call 908 658 5400. You can also access our Toll-Free Cancer Support Helpline at 888 793 9355.
All support is facilitated by licensed mental health professionals.